Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Now, I know I often tend to be a little more on the dramatic side than some people, but today was by far the worst day I have had in Iowa in the whole time I have lived here.

I should probably give the back story for my worst day ever. Last week, while talking to my mother about my family's upcoming Iowa visit, I sadly informed them that not only had we not had any snow to date, but there was not even a chance of snow in the weather.com 10 day forecast. Now, if you live in San Diego and are going on vacation to Iowa, you would probably hope to see snow (cause, you know, what else is there really?) and so, I had a little word with Mother Nature about making Iowa a winter wonderland for my family.

Fast forward a week to today. Blizzard watch. And no shit, this is a for real blizzard. The meteorologists, both local and on the Weather Channel, talked about this storm being a big one. There has even been talk of "the worst in (fill in the blank) years!" But, being a State of Iowa employee now, the entire state has to be in a horrible condition for offices to close. So, I left extra time to make my 25 minute trek to work this morning (which ultimately took an hour and 15 minutes) and had a few moments of tears while driving when my tires would spin without me moving or when my brakes would make that god forsaken noise without me stopping. But alas, I made it to work and they decided to let us out of our training at 3:00 to get home before it got dark and the weather only got worse. Well, turns out, I didn't quite make it before it got worse. The roads aren't plowed really because the snow won't stop falling for them to plow and there didn't appear to be a trace of salt on any roads, so there I was just sliding around all over the place trying to stay focused and make it home alive. Well, I had nearly made it home and only needed to go into our alley to get to the driveway. But, I got stuck trying to enter the alley. Luckily, a nice man who was snowblowing helped me back out so I drove up to our house and called John for help. Actually the call was me crying saying, "I can't get in!" So, John came out to shovel the alley so that I could get to our driveway. Well, when I tried to drive back to the alley after John shoveled, I was stuck right there in front of our house. So now, there I was sitting in my car in the middle of our street, stuck in the snow and hysterically bawling. Ultimately, John helped push me out and a snow plow cleared the way for me to get into our driveway.

Worst. Iowa. Day. Ever. I think I'll move to the Bahamas.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

so did you move to the Bahamas or what!?