Thursday, December 18, 2008

Tonight I was introduced to the weather occurrence, and cruel and unusual punishment, known as sleet.

With this big storm impending, I had heard the word thrown around a few times and was looking forward to discovering what form of weather sleet actually was, since it doesn't (at least to my knowledge) grace San Diego with it's presence.

When the storm finally hit, I was driving a co-worker back to her car at the office. From inside the car, sleet appeared to be a miniature version of hail, which led me to believe that it was really no big deal at all. Then I had to get out of my car to help my co-worker carry her things, and oh-so-quickly I realized that sleet was not simply miniature hail at all.

Tonight I learned that sleet is more like sharp ice shards pouring out of the sky - hail's pointy and vicious little brother, if you will. In the two minutes I was without the shelter of The Dragon, I was almost certain the sleet had pierced my ears and face in several locations and caused bleeding. As it turns out though, it only felt like the sleet had pierced my face, which is a good thing since I'm not too keen on this look:In other news, John and I went to Kansas City, Missouri last weekend to celebrate the holiday season and anniversary of our engagement. I wasn't aware that Kansas City was a super awesome place with lots of fun things to do, but as it turns out it kind of was. We've been really busy with work and Christmas right around the corner, but I'll update with the KC details soon (I promise, Jody!).

2 comments:

Amalou said...

Whoa! Just found your blog randomly. I'm from OC and possibly moving to Iowa with my Hawkeyes obsessed Iowan boyfriend haha. The sleet sounds terrifying. I'm not sure if I'll survive.

Kristen said...

Too funny! I haven't written in this blog in forever - life got busy out here! I wasn't so sure at first, but Iowa is an awesome place to live! The winter takes a while to get used to, but it's not all that bad. It's actually nice getting to enjoy the seasons that are pretty nonexistent out in CA :)